Thursday, December 22, 2016

Marginalia - new show of book paintings

For the last year I've been working on a series of paintings depicting book stacks.

The resulting show - 'Marginalia' - is now on.

There are 21 originals works and book guitars by Kim Wiley made in the cigar-box tradition. I have painted books on some of the hand-crafted boxes, which was great fun. Other guitars are made from real vintage books. And they sound great!


Blarney Books & Art
Christmas & January Opening hours
23 & 24 Dec, 11-4pm
27 & 28 Dec, 11-4pm
11-5pm daily from 30 Dec to 29 January 2017


Here is my artist statement about the show followed by some pictures of the work in situ:

MARGINALIA - Artist Statement

Books have always played an important role in my life. Their physical presence serves as a kind of autobiography marking periods of time.

Despite the advent of digital libraries and the decreasing space on my bookshelf I find it hard to part with books.

I initially embarked on this body of work thinking that painting some of these books would release me from their sentimental pull and I would then be able to cull them.

Paradoxically, now that they have been painted, another layer of meaning is added to their story and I’m even more reluctant to let them go.

Each painting depicts books I own or have sourced from my family. When I look at each book stack there is a flood of memories and feelings. Each painting contains multiple narratives - my own personal history intertwines with the stories within them.

The fact that many other people have special memories attached to the same books means the narrative possibilities within each book stack are infinite.

Our mode of daily communication is increasingly digital but physical books will always have a place, not as mere marginalia but as treasured objects representing more than the words between the covers.

You can view the paintings on my website here.

And for the first time ever I have prints available for purchase at the show.

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy

Jodi Wiley - Marginalia exhibition at Blarney Books & Art, Port Fairy